November 10, 2011

John Geffert - Teaching

For my math methods class I created a video of myself teaching a short lesson about using the Pythagorean Theorem. I used a cloud based presentation software called Prezi, that creates intuitive and smooth transitions between slides for the intro of my lesson, and then, using a standard HD video camera I filmed myself moving step by step through setting up and solving for the hypotenuse of a right triangle. In order to turn the Prezi into usable video I used a cloud based screen casting software called Screenr. Then, when I had all my clips complete, I simple loaded them into iMovie, and spliced them together.

I used the Khan Academy as my template for creating a simple and effective visual for creating and solving math questions. I really enjoyed producing the video, and I truly believe that videos like this, when made available for your students, can have a significant impact on their abilities over time. Being able to review, start and stop a video at home give the student a lot more control of their learning than they might otherwise have during a class period.


The Pythagorean Theorem from John Geffert on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. John --- really enjoyed watching your Pythagorean video. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, Great Video!!! :)
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete