August 29, 2011

Google Docs Group Presentation

The purpose of our group project was to explore the Google Docs presentation program. We utilized this program collaboratively via 'the cloud' and although the program itself is not quite as powerful as the desktop version, the trade-offs however are worth it for the ease of use in collaboration and making changes quickly and efficiently.

Click here for Google Presentation

Because the Google Docs tools are web based and thus can be accessed anywhere I have an internet signal I naturally reduce the need to save anything I am working on, on one computer. This allows me to be much more productive, in the sense that as long as I can find a computer terminal with internet access I can continue to reliable update any project I am working on. Additionally, if I imagine working in a collaborative setting then the web-based-ness of this service compounds its value to me and my team by allowing us as a group to effortlessly work and rework a document.

In an educational setting I can see myself using Google Docs Presentation to store and work on class notes, lesson plans, or lecture material. I may also assign a project in my class that requires a group of students to create a presentation that covers whatever subject we are currently learning. I would feel comfortable trusting Google Doc's applications in this way, thus allowing my students to confidently and easily create, edit, and eventually present a complete product that the entire group had an opportunity to work on.


My learning curve for this product is very slight as I have been a power Microsoft Office user for many years. If anything I found frustration not from trying to do something but from finding out that many functions I've come to expect from a product like this simply don't exist.


My contributions to the presentation group were in setting up the initial slide deck and managing the security and editing options. Also I helped write the third slide outlining how the product can be used.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thorough reflection. Just be sure to go back and make your URL and ACTIVE link. Highlight the text -> hit the LINKs button on the tool bar, etc.

    ReplyDelete